CRE/RCL Credit Underwriter
Avenue Bank Credit Team is looking for a full time Commercial Real Estate and Residential Construction Loan Credit Underwriter. The successful candidate will be able to recognize, embrace and support the “Avenue Way.” Demonstration of this will be evidenced by work practices, integrity, and a demeanor consistent with the personality of customer service excellence representing Avenue Bank both internally and externally.
CRE/RCL Credit Underwriter: The person in this Commercial Real Estate and Residential Construction Loan Credit Underwriter role will be primarily responsible for conducting credit investigations and analyzing credit information for commercial real estate and residential construction loans to ensure compliance with the Bank’s credit risk management strategy and the Bank’s credit policy.
Essential Duties Include:
- Review loan applications and analyze credit information to make a general assessment of applicant’s creditworthiness. Determine whether or not the proposed loan will conform to the bank’s lending policy.
- Prepare written summary of loan terms and conditions and a written narrative explaining business background, outlining risk factors and justifying assigned risk rating, ensuring conformity with bank credit policy and procedures and with applicable banking regulations.
- For commercial real estate loans, conduct in-depth review of rent rolls, leases, balance sheets, income statements and tax returns presented by applicants to assess their ability to repay existing and proposed debt.
- For residential construction loans, conduct in-depth review of balance sheets, income statements, tax returns, line item budgets, global inventory summaries and market/sub-market exposure presented by applicants to assess their ability to repay existing and proposed debt.
- Provide credit information and references for clients, loan officers, or other agencies as requested.
- Regularly accompany RMs on customer calls and site visits.
- Actively participate with RMs in the preparation of loan proposals for committee presentation.
- Review construction contracts, leases, appraisals, environmental assessment reports, UCC searches, flood determinations, insurance policies and other information to assess risks associated with the bank’s collateral position.
- Continuously develop knowledge of appraisal theory and approaches to values.
- Interact with account officers to negotiate loan terms and follow up on information required to decision the application. Able to professionally contact loan applicants (customers) and/or their representatives (CPA’s, CFO’s) to obtain clarification about information received.
- Respond to credit applications within the timeframe established by the department.
- This job description is not designed to cover nor contains a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experienced candidates only, please.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree; or three to five years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Essential Qualifications and Requirements:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to speak effectively with employees of the organization in groups and individually.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentially.
- Ability to provide a superior level of customer service.
- Everyday use of core systems and spreadsheets preferred.
- Possess ability to perform credit analyses.
- Knowledge of banking and compliance regulations and privacy laws.
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word is essential.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- The physical demands for this position are typical for an individual working in an active office setting.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Travel may be required on rare occasions.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate and requires the ability to work in an open space environment without becoming easily distracted by the activities of colleagues.
Other Essential Position Details:
- The pay for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- This position is full-time, exempt, at will.
- This position does not supervise any direct reports and reports to the Commercial Credit Manager.
Avenue Bank is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected class; we are drug free, provide reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties where requested and available and participate in the Federal E-Verify process.
Apply Online for this Position
Click here to submit your information.
back to Careers